We are excited to announce the “launch” of our latest photo contest, the “Spirit of Northport and East Northport” Photo Contest. For the next few weeks in our newsletter we will continue to look, decade by decade from the 1940s through the 1990s, at important milestones in our area’s history.
Photos will be collected until April 15th, at which time our curator will pick one photo from each decade as a winner. All photos entered will have the chance to become part of the Northport Historical Society’s permanent photo collection, assuring your memories will become a part of Northport/East Northport’s shared history.
We hope they will remind you of your own family stories, and jog your memory about photos you or your parents or grandparents might have saved that were taken during those years. We hope to encourage you to contribute any photographs you can find from your own archives that capture the spirit of Northport/East Northport from that time- these images will be added to our collection and help illustrate and preserve the stories and images of our community.
Six winners will be announced. Each winner will receive a tote bag which includes: one year family membership to the Society, the book “Northport,” a car magnet, a t-shirt, and other Society publications.
- Please submit photographs of Northport or East Northport from 1940-1999, by emailing them to: c[email protected] with “Photo Contest” and the date of the photo in the subject line. You may enter as many times and as many photos as you like.
- Please include your name and contact info in the body of the email as well as a description of your photo, including, where, who, when, etc.
- If you would like to mail an original or a copy of your photo, please send to: The Northport Historical Society, PO Box 545, Northport, NY 11768, Attn: Terry Reid/photo contest. Please include a note with your contact info and information regarding the photo.
- Six winning photos, one for each decade, will be chosen by Terry Reid, curator of the Northport Historical Society, on or by April 20th.
- Winners will be contacted on that day, and winning photos will be posted on the Northport Historical Society’s website, Facebook and Instagram