Part 5: 2002 - 2012: New Century, New Milestones
The early part of the decade saw some upheaval in staff and board members; however, the Society maintained a full slate of programs, exhibits and events which included, “Northport in the First World War,” “Women of Distinction,” and “Master Builders of Northport.” Gardens on the Harbor and the Holiday House Tour were very successful fundraisers as well as Sunset on the Harbor and Mrs. Nigro’s Tea Room. In 2003, the Society hosted its first Long Island Arts and Antiques Discovery Day. Modeled after “Antiques Roadshow,” ticket holders were given the opportunity to bring their treasures to be appraised by a panel of experts, including Lark Mason, who had often appeared on Roadshow.Read more
This companion to the Black History of Northport Walking Tour lays out some of the miscellaneous clues to the makeup of Northport's Black community from the 1830s to 1900.
Unidentified group of young girls sitting on the steps of Trinity Episcopal Church circa 1905. Copyright Northport Historical Society 2022.Read more
Part 4: 1992-2002: When Donald Schluter retired in 1994 as Director, membership to the Society was at an all-time high with more than 300 individuals and 50 businesses. William O’Brien, a retired art teacher, became Director and planned to connect history with contemporary culture to reinvigorate the museum experience. His plan was put into action with the development of “The Baymen of Northport” exhibit.
The Baymen plaque was put in place by the Northport Historical Society in 1995 to coincide with its exhibit, "The Baymen of Northport."Read more
The Northport Historical Society is proud to present the First Prize-winning essay of this year's Northport Historical Society Scholarship for High School Seniors, "A History of LIPA", written by Madeleine Cierski.
Long Island Power Association plant in Asharoken, circa 1980. Photo by Klaus Moser. Copyright Northport Historical Society 2022.Read more
By the time the Northport Historical Society entered its third decade, 1982-1992, it had accomplished much to support its mission of preserving our local history. They secured landmark status for the Eaton’s Neck Lighthouse, fought to preserve historic buildings, grew a collection of documents, photographs, and artifacts, and opened a museum in the old library building to exhibit and interpret the collection. The first director, Gay Wagner’s term came to an end in 1978 and was followed by several others including Susan Lott, Olga Leone, Rod Rhodes, and Marc Tull. In 1982, Peggy Mudge, a former board president, took over the job as director.
The Society's first Director, Gay WagnerRead more
The Northport Historical Society’s second decade, 1972-1982, proved to be an important one filled with major accomplishments. Board President, Howard Knowles, along with Rowley Bialla, applied for a permanent charter as the provisional charter was set to expire. The Board also revamped its by-laws, adopting a governing board of trustees that would be elected by Society members and serve three staggered three-year terms, a model still used today.
Mayor Peter Campbell cuts the ribbon to officially open the Museum, with Henrietta Van Siclen.Read more
Author Thelma Jackson ends her book African Americans in Northport: An Untold Story with a list of graves of African Americans in Genola Cemetery, East Northport. One family that rests there is the Braziers. Until now, information on this family has been scattered across newspapers, yearbooks, census’, and church records. Taken together, one can see a family with deep roots in Northport and to other African American communities of Long Island. Here are the stories of the Braziers in Northport.