Remembering Buildings and Businesses Lost to History
The beauty of Northport Village and the neighborhoods that make up our community is found in the layers of history so many of the old buildings hold. The tower of the Thompson Building, the church spires, the trolley tracks and the beautiful Victorian homes and old farmhouses provide stories about the families and businesses who contributed to the history and character of the town.
Here we will look at some of the properties that have been lost to development and change, and remember what used to be.
The United Service Organizations was founded 80 years ago on February 4, 1941. One of the founders of the U.S.O. was Mary Shotwell Ingraham (1887- 1981), who along with her husband Henry A. Ingraham (1878-1962), had a summer home on Asharoken and later a house on Locust Road in Crab Meadow.
Mary Shotwell IngrahamRead more
Jonas Higbee, a ship master, and Maria Smith from Little Cow Harbor (now Centerport) were married in 1817 by the renowned “Marrying Minister” Reverend Joshua Hartt. They had 7 children- 2 sons; twins Jonas and Shepard, and 5 daughters; Phebe, Irene, Elizabeth, Frances, and Susan. Here are the stories from the remarkable lives of sisters Irene and Susan.
Standing, left to right: Phebe Higbee Denton, Irene Higbee Jarvis, Elizabeth Higbee Johnson Bishop. Seated, left to right: Frances Higbee Lewis, Susan Higbee Udell Bunce.Read more
The Nineteenth Amendment, which gave white women in America the right to vote, was certified and became law on August 26th, 1920. It was a huge step in a long, continuing fight for equal rights and we have many revolutionary women to thank.
Among them are two women with ties to Northport.Read more