In our Decades Decoded series, we share touchstones of Northport history from the 1940s to the 1990s
Senior Spirit Week mural at Northport High School, 1994
- Ingerman’s Department Store, a fixture on Main Street since it was opened by Polish immigrant Abraham Ingerman in 1910, closed its doors
- Northport Village celebrates the 100th Anniversary of incorporation
- Northport’s movie theater closed- Opened in 1932 with a screening of Sherlock Holmes, the theater had several owners and many renovations through the years, including the addition of the stainless-steel marquee and beautiful hand painted murals
- Northport was transformed into “Greenleaf” when Kevin Kline and Tom Selleck filmed the movie In and Out in the Village
Kevin Kline on Main Street during the filming of In and Out in 1996
- Students from Northport Junior High School (on Laurel Avenue) went back to the school on Middleville Road, and it was renamed Northport Middle School
- Roxanne Browning became the first woman mayor of the Village of Northport
- The new East Northport Public Library building opened
Roxanne Browning, Northport's first female mayor
- Edna Olmsted, the first woman to travel around the world by motor car, dies at the age of 91. A resident of Bayview Avenue, 25 year-old Edna began her year-long trip with Leila Roosevelt as driver and mechanic in 1933.
Edna Olmsted (1908-1999)
Do you like this post?